This post has been made for my own reference, though I hope it might be useful to you as well if you do any sort of gardening. One of the reasons that I volunteer at a local community garden is so that I can learn skills to apply to my own garden work. Yesterday we sowed corn and planted squash and pumpkins.
Here is what I learned:
On sowing seeds:
- Clear away all weeds and other debris,
- dig a furrow where the seeds will be placed,
- put in some fresh compost, followed by fertilizer or enhanced soil,
- press the seeds into place, distance between seeds the width of a fist, the depth twice the size of the seed,
- cover over,
- sprinkle with water,
- spread a light layer of mulch
- In the cleared soil,
- Dig a hole the size of the plants container,
- trowel in some compost and fertilizer,
- mix in one small spoonful of mycorrhizal root inoculant,
- Gently remove the plant from its container and set into the hole ,
- Lightly water and surround the plant with mulch.