In yesterday’s post, I shared how I engage in a new creative project. In the process of working the plan I ran into a glitch. Or, to be more optimistic, you could say I expanded my knowledge base on a grand scale. At first, I almost jumped through the loophole I articulated yesterday of admitting the plan was not workable. Instead, I powered through and made the first of I hope many recordings of my own percussion music.
To make a long story short, I had no problem mixing a very short audio clip. The problem came with sharing it. Oh, is that not the bane of the creative’s existence: showing the rest of the world your work? In order to share the audio, I ended up having to make, with great difficulty, a video. Even though I felt like I had enrolled in a crash course in film editing, I was pleased to learn some new applications, and refresh myself in some old ones.
What I learned is this:
- Pushing the boundaries in my creative process requires hard work and a headache. The idea came easy. Mastering the tools and technology, well, not so much.
- It is not enough for me, at any rate, to create. I must also share it with an audience for it to be worth my while.
- Finally, I will never be happy with just one creative genre. I need to be trying new things on a regular basis. I may never be very good at music making, but I enjoyed the process. And that is just as important as the product.
Without further delay, here is my twenty-four second sound mixing experiment.
Note: To create and share my percussion work, I used my iPhone to access Garageband (only available for Apple products) and to shoot the video, a PC laptop in order to access Windows Movie Maker, my email application to mail the audio and video files from one device to the other and, of course, WordPress. Oh, and the instruments: A darbuka, an egg shaker, and a cowbell.